Remember those days when you’d be out in the woods, trying to get that old gas-powered chainsaw to start?
The incessant pulling of the cord, the spluttering engine, and the cloud of smoke? Ah, those were the days. And let’s not forget the colorful string of expletives that usually followed when the darn thing refused to work.
I recall my neighbor, Bob, who once spent an entire afternoon trying to breathe life into his chainsaw, only to realize he’d been using old gas. By evening, he was ready to throw it into the river.
But times have changed. The electric chainsaw, with its quiet operation and minimal maintenance, has become the new darling of the woodworking world. Picture this: With a charged battery, you can get right to work without any of the drama.
No more pull cords, no more bad gas, and certainly no more cursing. Plus, the advancements in lithium-ion battery technology mean these electric wonders are now more powerful and efficient than ever.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve deep into the world of electric chainsaws, exploring the best models of 2023, understanding their classifications, and answering the burning questions on every potential buyer’s mind.
Whether you’re a seasoned lumberjack or a newbie looking for a chainsaw for some backyard work, this article is for you. So, let’s cut to the chase!
For those in a hurry, here’s a quick comparison of the 8 best electric chainsaws based on user reviews and expert opinions:
Classification Based on Size
Electric chainsaws, much like their gas-powered counterparts, come in a variety of sizes. The size, typically determined by the bar length, plays a pivotal role in determining the saw’s applications. Here’s a breakdown:
Small-Size (10- to 12-inch bar)
Perfect for light tasks around the garden, these chainsaws are compact, lightweight, and highly maneuverable. Think of trimming shrubs, cutting small branches, or even DIY crafts. Their small footprint makes them ideal for tight spaces.
Mid-Sized (14- to 16-inch bar)
Stepping up the ladder, the mid-sized chainsaws offer a balance between power and portability. They’re suitable for cutting firewood, medium-sized trees, or even some light lumbering tasks. If you own a large property with several trees, this might be the sweet spot for you.
Large-Size (18- to 20-inch bar)
Enter the big league! These chainsaws pack a punch and are designed for heavy-duty tasks. Felling large trees, slicing through thick logs, or even preparing timber – these beasts can handle it all. However, they tend to be heavier and require a bit more experience to handle safely.
Always consider the size and type of tasks before choosing a chainsaw. A mismatch can lead to inefficient operations and even safety hazards.
How I Tested the Best Electric Chainsaws
Before diving into recommendations, it’s essential to share the methodology behind our selection. After all, transparency builds trust.
- Battery Life: We started with a fully charged battery and timed how long each chainsaw could run under constant use.
- Cutting Efficiency: Using logs of consistent diameter, we counted the number of cuts each model could make on a single charge.
- User Comfort: Handling, weight distribution, and vibration levels were assessed by a group of volunteers ranging from novices to professionals.
- Safety Features: We checked for the presence and efficiency of safety mechanisms like chain brakes, hand guards, and safety switches.
- Maintenance Needs: How easy was it to change the chain, clean the unit, or perform basic maintenance tasks?
Only after rigorous testing and comparisons did we finalize our list of winners.
The 8 Best Electric Chainsaws
Choosing the right electric chainsaw takes some research as features and power vary greatly between models.
This guide reviews 8 of the best electric chainsaws on the market based on factors like cutting power, battery life, weight, and ease of use.
1. Echo DCS-2500T
When it comes to small-sized chainsaws suitable for efficient tree maneuverability, the Echo DCS-2500T is undoubtedly one of the best small-size options available on the market.
With its 12-inch bar and 56V X Series Cordless Battery, it promises performance comparable to gas-powered counterparts, all while ensuring user comfort and efficiency.
The chainsaw’s design is characterized by its ultra-lightweight structure, which offers exceptional ease for in-tree operations. Its side-access chain tensioner and adjustable top-mounted oiler are notable features that enhance its maintenance simplicity.
Furthermore, its 2.5Ah ECHO eFORCE battery promises up to 60 cuts on a single charge, showcasing its robust performance.
However, it’s essential to note the product’s limitation in terms of cold weather performance, as highlighted in user reviews.
There’s also a need for potential buyers outside the US to ensure electrical compatibility, as the product is primarily designed for US outlets.
- Ultra-lightweight for in-tree maneuverability.
- Gas-like power from a battery-operated device.
- Features like adjustable oiler and side-access tensioner for easy maintenance.
- Impressive battery life with up to 60 cuts per charge.
- Potential performance issues in cold weather.
- Designed primarily for US electrical outlets, requiring adapters for international use.
- Brand: Echo
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Horsepower: 5.3 hp
- Product Dimensions: 14″L x 14″W x 14″H
The Echo DCS-2500T stands out as one of the best small-size chainsaws, offering a mix of power, efficiency, and convenience.
While it excels in several areas, potential users should be aware of its limitations to make an informed purchase.
2. Husqvarna Power Axe 350i
The Husqvarna Power Axe 350i is an embodiment of what modern chainsaws should be. Representing the best in large-size electric chainsaws, it offers remarkable adaptability to both DIY enthusiasts and professionals.
Powered by a 40V Lithium-Ion battery, it promises consistent and long-lasting cutting prowess.
This chainsaw’s brushless motor ensures not only quiet operation but also significant energy efficiency, making it environmentally friendly.
The unique “Boost Mode” gives an immediate 25% power surge, perfect for those challenging cutting tasks. The X-Cut chain is another highlight, assuring persistent sharpness and top-tier performance.
However, as with all products, it has its downsides. Some users have raised concerns about the support from Husqvarna, particularly when it comes to warranty and parts replacement.
- Lightweight design for easy handling.
- Superior cutting power with the boost mode.
- Efficient and quiet brushless motor.
- Long-lasting X-Cut chain.
- Tool-less tensioning system.
- Some concerns about the brand’s support.
- Warranty details are unclear.
- Size: 18 Inch.
- Battery: 40V Lithium-Ion.
- Motor: Brushless.
- Weight: 7.72 Pounds.
- Dimensions: 18.9″L x 8.8″W x 9.4″H.
The Husqvarna Power Axe 350i is among the best large-size chainsaws on the market. While it has its drawbacks, its advanced features and performance make it stand out.
3. Worx Nitro 40V Power Share
The Worx Nitro 40V Power Share Cordless Chainsaw stands out as a tool that offers “best value” in the market of battery-powered chainsaws.
Equipped with brushless motor technology, this chainsaw not only rivals its gas-powered counterparts in performance but does so without the fuss and expense of fuel.
The high-speed cutting feature, clocking at 59 ft/s, ensures a seamless and rapid chopping experience.
The innovative Power Share feature is commendable. It allows users to utilize the same battery across over 140+ tools from the Worx Power Share platform.
The automatic lubrication system enhances its user-friendly attributes, minimizing manual interventions and ensuring prolonged chain life.
- Cordless with high-performance 40V power.
- Efficient brushless motor with extended lifespan.
- Power Share batteries compatible with other Worx tools.
- Rapid 59 ft/s cutting speed.
- Tool-less chain adjustment and replacement.
- Some users reported the chain coming off initially, requiring tension adjustments.
- Battery life, while good, could be improved for longer tasks.
- Power Source: Battery Powered.
- Product Dimensions: 33.31″L x 9.06″W x 9.65″H.
- Horsepower: 2.3 hp.
- Chain Length: 16 Inches.
The Worx Nitro 40V Power Share Chainsaw emerges as a game-changer in the cordless chainsaw market segment. With features like the brushless motor and Power Share, it offers convenience without compromising power.
The “best value” tag is evident from its high-performance levels at a competitive price. However, the initial chain tensioning issue could be a minor drawback for some users.
Overall, for professionals seeking an efficient and eco-friendly chainsaw alternative, this product is a formidable contender.
4. Ryobi 40V HP
The “Ryobi 40V HP” Electric Cordless Chainsaw stands out as a product that genuinely offers “Best Value” in the market.
Operating on advanced 40V HP technology, this chainsaw promises a 15% power increment, making it a formidable tool for various woodcutting tasks.
Its brushless motor ensures longer runtimes and an extended motor life, allowing users to undertake extensive projects without frequent interruptions.
Its 14-inch bar and chain come with a commendable 24-inch cut capacity.
Moreover, the chainsaw incorporates features such as an adjustable automatic oiler, ensuring consistent chain lubrication, and side access chain tensioning paired with on-board tool storage, optimizing user convenience and ensuring easy adjustments.
However, a noticeable caveat is the absence of a battery and charger, which are sold separately. Given that the productis also delivered in a generic box due to bulk packaging, potential buyers need to be aware of these aspects.
- Advanced 40V HP technology delivers enhanced power.
- Longer runtime with the brushless motor.
- User-friendly features such as adjustable oiler and on-board tool storage.
- Battery and Charger not included.
- Arrives in a generic box due to bulk packaging.
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Horsepower: 3.5 hp
- Weight: 10.28 Pounds
- Dimensions: 30″L x 12″W x 11″H
- Chain Length: 14 Inches
The “Ryobi 40V HP” is a commendable chainsaw for those looking for a balance of power, efficiency, and user-friendly features.
While its packaging and the separate sale of essential components might deter some, its performance metrics make it worth considering for those who prioritize value.
5. Worx Power 20V Share
The Worx Power 20V Share Cordless Chainsaw emerges as a standout in the market, combining power, efficiency, and affordability.
This tool is undeniably built for quick and clean cuts. Its auto-chain tension system is a notable feature, automatically ensuring the right tension for every job, thereby eliminating the guesswork for users.
With a chain speed of 12.5 ft/s, it can effectively cut through reasonably sized logs and branches.
What makes this chainsaw an attractive choice is its compatibility with the Power Share family – a single battery can power over 75+ 20V, 40V, and 80V tools, making it an economical choice for those already invested in the Worx ecosystem.
The “Best Value” tag rightly fits this product considering its professional-grade features at a competitive price point. Additionally, its lightweight design at just 6.2 lbs., coupled with the auto-chain lubrication system, emphasizes both user comfort and tool longevity.
- Efficient and fast cuts with 12.5 ft/s chain speed.
- Auto-chain tension system.
- Compatible with the expansive Power Share family.
- Lightweight design.
- Competitive pricing for professional features.
- Additional costs for those new to the Worx ecosystem due to the need for compatible batteries and chargers.
- Might not be suitable for heavy-duty logging tasks.
- Brand: WORX
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Horsepower: 1 hp
- Item Weight: 6.2 Pounds
- Product Dimensions: 25″L x 7.5″W x 9.5″H
- Chain Length: 10 Inches
- Chain Speed: 12.5FT/S
The Worx Power 20V Share Cordless Chainsaw is a commendable tool for those looking for professional features without breaking the bank.
While it offers excellent value, potential users should weigh their specific needs. The chainsaw excels in smaller tasks but might be limiting for heavy-duty requirements.
Its compatibility with the Power Share family is a double-edged sword – a boon for current Worx users but potentially an added expense for newcomers.
Overall, it offers an impressive blend of features and performance, rightly earning its “Best Value” designation.
6. DeWalt 60V Max
The DeWalt 60V MAX is a remarkable entry into the large-size chainsaws market.
DeWalt, a well-established name in power tools, has designed this cordless chainsaw with user convenience and safety in mind. With product dimensions of 42″L x 13.83″W x 11.86″H, it’s evident that the tool is intended for heavy-duty work.
One of the defining features of this model is its quick chain adjustment with an onboard wrench, eliminating downtime during operations.
Furthermore, safety is a primary concern with its limited kickback protection and chain brake. Continuous lubrication ensures the chainsaw’s longevity, making it comparable in peak power to a traditional 50.2 cc gas chainsaw.
However, the torque this machine delivers is an impressive 2.43X that of its gas counterpart.
Nevertheless, like all products, it’s not without its challenges. Feedback points towards issues with the battery overheating and certain missing parts.
Yet, the overall sentiment remains positive, marking this chainsaw as a strong contender in the large-size chainsaw segment.
- Quick chain adjustment with onboard wrench.
- Robust safety features.
- Continuous lubrication for long-lasting performance.
- High torque, exceeding many gas chainsaws.
- Battery overheating issues.
- Some users reported missing parts.
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Horsepower: 3.49
- Chain Length: 20 inches
- Product Dimensions: 42″L x 13.83″W x 11.86″H
The DeWalt 60V MAX seems to be a perfect blend of power and convenience, especially for those looking to transition from gas to electric chainsaws.
Its features resonate with the needs of professional lumberjacks while still being suitable for homeowners with large properties.
Given DeWalt’s reputation and the chainsaw’s innovative features, it could easily be a top pick for large-size chainsaws.
However, potential buyers should be aware of the reported battery issues and ensure that all components are intact upon purchase.
7. Ego Power+ 18-inch Chainsaw
In the competitive market of large-size chainsaws, the EGO Power+ 18-Inch Chainsaw has secured its position with some distinctive features.
With a high-efficiency brushless motor, this chainsaw claims to offer a performance comparable to a 45CC gas chainsaw, all while operating on a battery.
Its innovative tool-free chain tensioning system is a commendable addition, allowing users to make adjustments effortlessly.
The inclusion of LED lights to illuminate the work area enhances user experience, especially in low-light conditions.
However, where it scores in innovation, it somewhat falters in raw power when compared to traditional gas chainsaws, as some users have noted.
- High-efficiency brushless motor.
- Battery-powered convenience, eliminating the fuss of gasoline.
- Innovative tool-free chain tensioning system.
- LED lights enhance visibility during operation.
- IPX4-rated weather-resistant construction.
- Might not match the raw power of some gas chainsaws.
- Battery life, while adequate, could be a concern for prolonged tasks.
- Power Source: Battery
- Horsepower: 3.5 hp
- Chain Length: 18 Inches
- Voltage: 56 Volts
For those transitioning from traditional chainsaws to more environment-friendly options, the EGO Power+ offers a reasonable compromise.
While it may not completely replace high-end gas chainsaws in terms of power, its innovative features and battery-powered convenience make it a worthy contender in the realm of large-size chainsaws.
8. Milwaukee M18 FUEL
The Milwaukee M18 FUEL 16″ Chainsaw Kit emerges as a powerful and reliable battery-powered tool ideal for a range of applications.
With its 12.0 battery and rapid charger included, it guarantees efficient and consistent performance.
A hallmark feature of this chainsaw is its battery expandability, positioning it as one of the best in its class for long-duration tasks.
It manages to combine its robust power with a relatively lightweight design, weighing in at just 13.9 pounds. Users, particularly from the farming community, have extolled its ability to cut through sizeable trunks with ease.
The chainsaw’s design and functionality echo Milwaukee’s reputation for producing quality tools. However, some users recommend upgrading to an Oregon bar for optimal performance.
Overall, the Milwaukee M18 FUEL provides an impressive balance of power and battery life, making it a valuable addition to any toolkit.
- Powerful battery expandability.
- Lightweight design at 13.9 pounds.
- High user ratings, with a 4.7 out of 5-star average.
- Efficient for both small and large tasks.
- Some users suggest upgrading the bar for optimal performance.
- Relatively high price point.
- Brand: Milwaukee
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Weight: 13.9 Pounds
- Dimensions: 37″L x 12″W x 11″H
- Chain Length: 16 Inches
The Milwaukee M18 FUEL offers an excellent solution for those who prioritize battery expandability. Its performance and battery life make it a stand-out, though the recommendation to upgrade the bar indicates potential room for improvement.
Given its price, the chainsaw is perhaps best suited for professionals or serious enthusiasts seeking a long-term investment.
What to Know Before Buying an Electric Chainsaw
Before you jump into purchasing, there are some crucial considerations to keep in mind. An informed decision ensures you get the best bang for your buck and a tool that suits your needs.
- Bar Length: This determines the size of wood the chainsaw can handle. Larger bars can cut bigger logs but are also heavier and need more power.
- Voltage: Higher voltage means more power. If you’re looking at heavy-duty tasks, aim for a higher voltage chainsaw.
- Amp Hours: This is an indicator of battery capacity. Higher amp hours mean the battery will last longer on a single charge.
- Safety: Ensure the chainsaw has safety features like a chain brake, hand guards, and a safety switch. Remember, a chainsaw is a powerful tool, and safety should never be compromised.
You May Also Enjoy Reading:
Are electric chainsaws any good?
Absolutely! With advancements in battery technology and motor efficiency, electric chainsaws now offer comparable power to gas models without the fuss of fuel, noise, and fumes.
How to use an electric chainsaw?
Using an electric chainsaw is straightforward. Charge the battery, ensure the chain is sharp and tensioned, add bar oil, and you’re good to go. Always read the user manual and follow safety guidelines.
What is the best electric chainsaw?
Final Thoughts on the Best Electric Chainsaws
The world of electric chainsaws has seen tremendous growth over the past few years. Their convenience, efficiency, and eco-friendly nature make them a favorite among both professionals and hobbyists.
Whether you’re looking to trim some branches in your backyard or fell a massive oak, there’s an electric chainsaw out there for you. Always prioritize safety, do your research, and happy cutting!